Beware Water-Damaged Wiring

Keep these safety considerations in mind should you encounter water-damaged electrical wiring.

Beware Water-Damaged Wiring

You don’t need to be an expert to know that water and electricity don’t mix. Summer in the Carolinas usually means frequent thunderstorms, which can produce lots of rain in a short amount of time. Frequent rains can pose a risk to your homes electrical system, so it is important to keep an eye out for potential water damaged wiring in and around your home. Here are a few things to keep in mind about water and electrical wiring.

Risks of Water-Damaged Wiring

Fire Dangers – Electrical wiring that has come in contact with water, whether from leaky pipes or the weather, can pose a major threat for causing fires. Fires are a risk for major property damage, as well as personal injury or death.
Electric Shock – Wiring that has been compromised from water damage could injure you or a family member with an electric shock. 
Electrical and Equipment Failure – Wiring affected by water can result in permanent damage to your homes electrical system, as well as attached equipment due to power surges and similar malfunctions. 

Recognizing Water-Damaged Electrical

Any wiring or equipment that has gotten wet or been submerged should be evaluated by a professional, and potentially replaced. If you notice a humming or buzzing sound being emitted from wiring or pools of water, do not go near them, and contact the electricians at Walkup Electrical immediately to come and inspect for electrical hazards and repairs.

Electricity can be very dangerous, so it is important to rely on the professionals to avoid unnecessary risk to your safety. Contact the professionals at Walkup Electrical in Florence today for all your electrical needs.