Air Conditioner Maintenance Basics
Save energy, money, and extend the life of your air conditioning unit with these general tips.
One of the best ways to save energy in your home, and of course money, is to ensure that your HVAC system remains in good working order. With general maintenance, you can help preserve your unit, as well as increase energy efficiency and savings on your electric bill. Basic care and preventative maintenance can also prevent breakdowns when you need your air conditioning most. Follow these recommendations to keep your air conditioning running, and your family comfortably cool.
- Replace your Filters - Always replace your air filters each month. Dirt clogged filters can prevent adequate air flow, requiring more energy use and potentially damaging your system.
- Clean your Evaporator Coils - You should check your evaporator coils and remove any dirt or grime. Dust and dirt can act as an insulator, impeding heat exchange necessary for cooling the home.
- Clear the Area Around you Unit - Ensure that your heat pump has adequate airflow by removing all plant foliage and other debris from at least 2 feet around the unit.
- Straighten Bent Fins - Over time, the fins can become bent, interfering with airflow essential for efficient operation of your heat pump. You can buy an inexpensive fin comb to straighten the fins and restore airflow.
- Clear Your Drain Lines - Occasionally, drain lines can become blocked, preventing humidity reduction in the home. Try feeding a stiff wire through lines to dislodge any formed clogs.
- Check the Seal - For homeowners with window ac units, be sure that the seal is intact and that the metal housing is secured against the frame.
Save time and guarantee your system is in good working order this summer by scheduling an inspection with the HVAC professionals at Walkup Electrical. Our technicians will service your unit, as well as make repairs and clean ducts for efficient HVAC operation. Call today to schedule your appointment.